Saturday, March 24, 2012

Ian Margot           

Do you remember the first time you made something in the kitchen? Back when you were just a small child and you wanted to help your parents make dinner, and the wonder of making food took over? I do. I have always thought cooking was amazing. It is like a form of art, the best form of act actually because you get to eat it after! The first dish I ever made without any assistance from my mother, sister, father, or cookbook was a homemade batch of chocolate chip cookies. I was so proud of myself, so in awe of my accomplishment that I didn’t realize I had forgotten a crucial ingredient until after the first batch was done. I had forgotten the chocolate chips. I know, how could I forget the one thing that makes this cookie a chocolate chip cookie? To be honest, I still don’t know, but I do know that no one was more surprised to notice that my lumps of baked dough were just that, lumps of baked dough, than me. That happened 5 years ago, and since then I’ll have you know that my chocolate chips cookies have gotten a lot better. Probably because I actually put the chocolate chips in them, but hey who knows. When I look back on this memory, I always think to myself, I failed when I set out on my own. I’m not saying that my failure was all that crucial or important. It actually had no effect on anything in my life besides the fact that I found out I wasn’t that bad of a baker. While I did fail, I also succeed at the same time because I didn’t give up. When I realized my mistake I fixed it, put chocolate chips in the dough, and it all over again, this time to find the sweet warm taste of success. 

4 comments:

  1. Not giving up on something is a crucial part in success in general. Your story is funny and it is a good way to introduce the failing and trying again topic. It would help if you also provided an example in where failing actually had an effect on that persons life. You could always use the classic MJ getting cut from his high school basketball team. Other than that it sounds like a good topic for a good paper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still remember my first time cooking. I thought it was going to be easy since I have all the recipes and materials. But the actual process was a disaster.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also have great memories baking cookies with my grandma. I actually wrote an essay all about it once in high school. Obviously you are making a much bigger point about success, not just baking cookies, but i love how you are using that experience to prove a bigger idea. I'm excited to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This can be an entertaining story that a lot of people can relate to. I think as long as this paper shows how it affects you, this could be a good paper.

    ReplyDelete