Tuesday, January 24, 2012




Hello fellow bloggers, 

I'm curious, what do y'all think of the microwaves here? Personally I cannot stand them, and that is why they are the subject of this weeks what "Grinds Ian's Gears".

 I love popcorn. It is easily one of my favorite snack foods. I always have at least two boxes in my room for whenever the urge to sit, watch a movie, and have a little popcorn arises. The problem is, my microwave SUCKS!

It burns every single bag I put in and most of the time it burns them so bad I have to not only throw the bag away but also turn my fan on to blow the smoke out the window. I don’t understand why they do this. My friends say its because it isn’t even distributing the heat… Well of course its not!!! Why else would only one part be burn on the bag? Anyways it’s a very upsetting thing when the timer goes off and you open the microwave and are greeted by a wave of smoke and a ruined bag of popcorn. Don’t fret though, after a full semester of experimentation I know how to fix this atrocious problem. Take the bag out sooner.

This method usually always works in producing a bag of fresh popcorn that is not burned and not smoking. Unfortunately, it also produces a bag that has just as many if not more kernels than actual popcorn. I have tried putting the popcorn bag in again after having eaten the popped popcorn but this just yields yet another smoking and burned bag. It seems that either a bag of burned popcorn or a bag that is barely full will forever plague me. Most of the time I try and look at it from the bright side; I have a bag of popcorn and kernels! Two for the price of one! This works pretty well, mainly because I like the crunchy kernels at the bottom of the bag, but this is a fleeting feeling. After about the tenth one, my teeth are tired from having to break apart the hard seeds. And most are so coated in congealed butter that I would rather not try.
Oh well, I guess I’m bound to always fight this horrible machine… that is until I move out next semester! It was a good fight microwave from hell, but in the end you lose.


3 comments:

  1. Hey Ian.. Let me start off by saying I like your blog topic. It sounds like you should have something interesting to write every week. Your right about your microwave argument. I hate when I come home and want a warm snack, but the microwave just does not suffice. You know what grinds my gears is when my ramen noodles are hard after five minutes of cooking. Not only do they taste terrible, but they take double the time to make. If the university makes us pay for their utilities, they should defiantly work better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not used the microwaves on campus that much thankfully, but I understand your frustration. My microwave back home used to do something similar to my popcorn. I hated the feeling of simply wanting a quick and tasty snack only to be disappointed by badly prepared popcorn. I didn't want it to go to waste so I would still try to eat it, but it definitely isn't the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah. So I'm not the only one who hates them. For me the microwaves are too "weak". I would follow the cooking instructions on a package for something and turns out to be completely uncooked. I learned to at least add a minute or two to whatever time written on the instructions.

    ReplyDelete